Friendship


I just recently came back from a fabulous beach trip with a group of girlfriends. We all knew each other and were in the same circles for awhile as we were growing up. We sort of became a “group” because of a trip we took our junior year to the beach over Spring Break. Since then, there are pictures of us at graduation, weddings, baby showers, Christmas get-togethers, and other life events.

One of these women I sat by in kindergarten. One I lived down the street from and met in first grade. One I “snuck out” with for the first time. One I met in fifth grade when she moved to our school and we roomed together in college – were maids of honor at each other’s weddings. A couple I met in junior high and bonded with because of our height challenges and our love for laughter. One I met in high school and we cheered together and I was drawn to her easy-going personality and generosity. And what’s really great is all these women love each other! It’s not like there’s one person that connects us all – we’re all connected to each other because of how much life we’ve shared.

After spending time together this past weekend, I feel so richly blessed that I have a group of friends that knew me then. And after catching up with each other over the years, and especially this concentrated time over the weekend, they know me now. Such a rich treasure and really hard to find.

Maybe you're not still connected to people you knew in high school much less elementary. But I encourage you to make your connections strong now to the people you know you want to have in your future.

So, I dare you to make the time to reconnect with someone you've been thinking about and missing. I dare you to invest in a new friendship now that in 20 years you'll think - wow, I'm so glad I know them. Be vulnerable. Be real. True friendship is only as real as you are willing to be. Friendships take time. They are only made stronger by the time invested in them. 

I'm thankful to God for surrounding me with such great women. My dare for myself is to stay connected, continue to nourish these relationships, and be available so these friendships will remain strong over the years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I did​ it!

What I Do